It’s time to stop and smell the roses.
Between being busy and being permanently attached to our phones, it can be really hard to remember to enjoy life’s more simple pleasures.
Here are a few of my favorites:
- Warm Laundry – I love spending a few minutes lying on top of the pile of fresh-out-of-the-dryer laundry. It is so relaxing, and is the upside to this weekly chore. With this practice, I know that at least once a week I will have a few minutes to myself to take some deep breaths before getting back to life’s tasks.
- Lighting a Candle – If I am reading, eating dinner, or doing homework, a candle burning always enhances the experience. Diffusers can definitely enhance the situation as well, but nothing beats the soft light of a candle.
- Airplane Mode – ah, the joy of disconnecting. There is something so nice about putting my phone on airplane mode and knowing that I will have some time to myself, guilt free for not responding, while I travel. I have taken this into my non-traveling life as well. Silencing my phone before bed and tapping on that little airplane icon before starting a movie (even at home).
- Comfortable Shoes – Nothing, nothing, is worse than wearing shoes that rub, are too tight, or make walking impossible. Well, at the ripe age of 24, I fully transitioned to comfortable shoes and my feet have been thanking me ever since. My go-to shoes are Birkenstocks and Tevas (I just need the Subaru to be an official Oregonian now). These shoes are like walking on clouds; and even though they aren’t the most fashionable, I always find myself reaching for them. Try Nordstrom Rack for deals!
- Waking Up Naturally – Beating your alarm is the best thing ever. And I can guess what you might be thinking, “But I need those few extra minutes of sleep!” No, you don’t. Waking up to an annoying alarm (despite attempts to pick a good tune) starts the day off in a panicked and stressful way – doesn’t sunshine and chirping birds sound much better? If your body is ready to rise and shine, then follow that! Stick to a semi-routine sleep schedule and leave your blinds open enough to let in some sunlight (or purchase a sunlamp if you live in rainy Oregon like myself).
These are the things that take almost no time and can add value to the tasks you are already doing (um, hello, laundry). They are little things that add so much to life…and isn’t that what we want: to add happiness in simple ways? I know it is what I have been searching for.
Side note, no one is better at enjoying life’s simple pleasures than my grandmother, Angeles. I want to dedicate this post to her, as she was recently diagnosed with Leukemia.
Life throws curve balls out of no where – don’t forget to stop and smell the roses.
What are your favorite simple pleasures? Let us know below.